Sunday, 27 April 2008

Workin' Class Man

So I mentioned here about NB finishing up his first job.

We worked some magic on his CV and got it clear, crisp and concise. I was brutal, stripping out sections left, right and centre. Got it down to 2 pages quite easily, which was a bit of a shock in the end.

It turns out our method worked. The phone was ringing c
onstantly with scum sucking maggot recruiters. I felt terribly sorry for NB, having to listen to their shite and boy could they talk some serious shite.

Every day I came home NB had a story for me. One time he had a recruiter that would not shut up, so NB pulled the phone away from his ear and just made sure he made reassuring noises every 30 seconds so the guy still knew NB was on the phone.

Others would just read the 'About Us' section from company websites if NB asked what the company was like.


One was so desperate for NB to accept a particular job he went for an interview for, I thought NB was going to have to get an ASBO (kind of like an AVO in Aus - means anti social behaviour order) put on him. The guy would not stop pestering him. He even gave his home number out, so if NB had any questions, he could ring this guy over the weekend. NB didn't really like the company and told the guy several times we wasn't going to accept the role. The company came back with more money, but NB still said no.

NB and I ended up nicknaming this guy 'Gil', as he was an exact replica of Gil from the Simpsons. "Gulp -- My wife's gonna kill me if I don't close this deal!"


At one point NB had 9 interviews over 9 days, which was absolutely draining. That does make it sound worse than it was, as many of these were with the same organisations, who wanted follow up interviews.

In the end, NB had 3 job offers and fortunately it was a no brainer regarding which one to pick.